“Ongoing Actions” are easy, ongoing efforts that move the work of OAC forward and create a better world for people affected by obesity. It takes all of us working together to continuously make change in awareness, education, advocacy and support, all while advancing OAC’s cause!
Whether you share OAC’s educational resources in your local community, make a charitable donation, repost our social media content or encourage others to join our Membership Community, all “Ongoing Actions” play a role in making a real difference.
Here are ways you can help:
- Want to Raise Awareness of OAC and its Mission? Click here
- Compelled to Share Unbiased, Science-based Education on Obesity? Click here
- Determined to Help End Weight Bias? Click here
- Interested in Improving/Influencing Access to Obesity Healthcare? Click here
- Passionate about Supporting Other People? Click here
- Will You “Pay it Forward” with a Charitable Donation? Click here
- Healthcare Providers: Looking for Actions Specific to You? Click here
Want to Raise Awareness of OAC and its Mission?
Introducing more people to OAC and encouraging them to join our Membership Community is crucial to our growth as an organization. When more people are connected to our cause, our initiatives are strengthened to make real change.
- Leave old copies of OAC’s Weight Matters Magazine in your healthcare provider’s office, gym, hair/nail salon, library, coffee shop and other local places.
- Present about the OAC to local support groups, churches, schools, universities, healthcare programs, behavioral health programs, social work programs, allied health programs and more. Take OAC information and encourage others to join our Membership Community at no-cost.
- Offer to host an OAC booth at your community or employer health fair.
- Visit local healthcare provider offices and drop-off OAC’s educational resources, pledging to visit at least five offices in your community.
- Tell someone about OAC and show them our Beliefs and Demands.
- Check-out OAC’s upcoming events and campaigns, and share them with your community online or in-person.
- Follow OAC on social media via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Visit these pages often and share our valuable content!
Looking to order print resources for sharing OAC information? CLICK HERE to fill-out our order form and request available materials at no cost.
Compelled to Share Unbiased, Science-based Education on Obesity?
Sharing the RIGHT kind of education – unbiased and backed by sound data – is key to transforming obesity perceptions and building understanding and empathy.
- Link to OAC’s educational resources online or take print copies to places in your community such as churches, schools, clinics, libraries, gyms, etc.
- Leave old copies of OAC’s Weight Matters Magazine in your healthcare provider’s office, gym, hair/nail salon, library, coffee shop and other places.
- Tell someone about OAC’s Annual Your Weight Matters Convention & EXPO! Each year we offer a top-notch Program Agenda with 50+ popular, science-based topics on weight and health management.
Looking to order print resources for sharing OAC information? CLICK HERE for our order form and request our available materials at no cost.
Determined to Help End Weight Bias?
Weight bias is the root of many issues that people with obesity often face. By confronting bias and sharing OAC’s education, help create a world that is more respectful, accommodating and supportive to individuals at any size.
- Share any of OAC’s online weight bias education materials in your personal networks or with others in the public:
- Encourage the use of People-First Language (Ex: “has obesity” vs “obese) on social media, news articles/stories, health literature and more.
- Encourage the use of OAC’s Image Gallery when you see stigmatizing photos being used on social media, news articles/stories, health literature and more.
- If you’ve faced weight bias, share your stories and experiences by submitting them to OAC’s Weight Bias Reporting Tool or Weight of the World story collection project.
- Write a letter of thanks to a T.V. show that respectfully portrays individuals affected by obesity or has diversity in size among characters.
- Tag your healthcare provider’s office on social media or leave a good review when you’ve had a positive experience that was patient-friendly.
- Call-out friends, family or others if you see or hear them displaying a form of weight bias. Use this opportunity to educate them and share OAC’s above materials.
Interested in Improving/ Influencing Access to Obesity Healthcare?
Individuals cannot manage their obesity without access to affordable, accessible and science-based healthcare. Help the OAC exemplify what access to care looks like and support others navigating the complicated process.
- Send a letter thanking your employer/insurer if they cover obesity healthcare services.
- Share the link to OAC’s Insurance Guide if you see someone struggling to understand the insurance process or terms/conditions for obesity healthcare services.
- If you submitted an appeal letter that was successful, share it as an example of “what works” so others can use it as a resource.
- Share your stories about accessing obesity health services by submitting them to OAC’s Access to Care Reporting Tool or Weight of the World story collection project.
Passionate about Supporting Other People?
Support opens the door to hope and help for people struggling with their weight or affected by obesity. Be their advocate and show them there are others out there who truly care.
Will You “Pay it Forward” with a Charitable Donation?
OAC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so we rely on generous contributions to help fund our various initiatives. Making a charitable donation is a direct way to help our resources stretch further and impact more lives!
Healthcare Providers: Looking for Actions Specific to You?
As health professionals, you are uniquely equipped to share science-based obesity education and spread the word about access to care, weight bias and patient support.
- Gift your patients with an OAC Community Membership through our Sponsored Membership Program.
- Give a social media shout-out to fellow colleagues and health professionals for their outstanding patient care or advocacy for patients affected by obesity.
- Write a letter to your medical school asking to include obesity treatment and weight bias prevention education in its standard curriculum. Encourage them to contact the OAC for the appropriate materials and information.
- Make sure your next CME course includes patient voices. If it doesn’t, advocate for some! CLICK HERE to contact OAC about bringing in patient representatives.
- Lobby your patients’ various insurance companies to cover all forms of science-based obesity treatments and services.
- Start a conversation around the importance of quality obesity care with State Medical Boards and local state governments.
- Using OAC’s Obesity Care Provider Locator, search within “X” miles of your zip code and identify if you live within a “care desert.” If no providers show up in your search, we can target states and/or communities to find providers equipped in obesity care.